Saturday, September 27, 2008

Two Weeks and Counting


Jennie and I left mid-morning for a 10 mile run. As we struggled to finish 10 miles, it hit me: Chicago 2008 is only two weeks away! I'm actually pretty excited about doing the marathon October 12th. I spent my childhood watching my father leave early on weekends to run races of all sorts...5k...10K...half marathon...marathon...24 hour races (what's up with those?) I ran a little track in high school, but certainly never fancied myself a serious runner. Once, my dad bribed be into running 13 miles in exchange for a pair of speakers. I think he was a little disappointed in my performance, and I learned how far 13 miles really was.


I ran on and off in college, but taking a full load of classes and working (almost) full time made it hard to find time to run. I was really two summers ago, when I was in Geneva and had no other obligations besides going to class from 9-5 that I found time to take up the sport.


Today, I'm far from pro, but I have found that running can be enjoyable. The key is that you have to do it at least 3 times a week. Otherwise, you lose your running fitness. In other words, half the battle in running is form and breathing. Your body has to get used to these two things in order to keep going. When I was going to the gym, I would work out my leg muscles. So, my legs were strong, but my respiratory system was not trained for 2-3 hours of non-stop exercise. So, that has been the biggest difference.


These next two weeks are set up as tapering time. Our longest run is about 8 miles and during the week is 4. I want to also work on eating better. This is always a goal for me, but now that the big day is nearing, I would love to drop off another 2-4 pounds (really, 10 would be great.)


Wish me luck.

No comments: