Friday, August 08, 2008

Two Swiss Summers...a Reflection


It hit me last night during our "7:11" photo montage: This has been a very special experience. I'd like to think I'll do it again someday, but the reality is that our "Global Cohort" is truly a once-in-a-lifetime event. Last night, as the 500+ photos (25 minutes worth) passed by on the projector screen in our classroom, we all watched the past 12 months rush past us. I know I was not the only one who thought "wow, we've really done a lot in a year." What made is so special is that we did it together as the 7:11 Runners!

Being given the opportunity to study abroad for a Master's degree while working full-time in our 30's was a gift. Meeting 26 other amazing people along the way was a bonus. Finding 6 people who share your love for life, laughter, and travel...that's priceless.

I'm sitting here thinking about how in less than 16 hours, this group will say our goodbyes for the last time. We'll laugh a lot, cry a little, and promise to keep in touch. I hope we can manage to do that. The "cohort" is a unique blend of people--all with different strengths and weaknesses--that could really make positive strides in education if we played upon each other's strengths. I am leaving the program more dedicated than ever to the idea of using technology to make change, not only in our schools, but in our global society.

It's been a whirlwind program, but our reward--our Master's degree in Education Technology--is now less than 5 hours away.

You can watch the graduation ceremony LIVE from Geneva by going to www.umfglobal.org/graduation. It starts at 12:30 Eastern Time (6:30 our time) and will be re-played on the site later.

Jennie and I have photos of our experiences on our blogs (search back a bit) and on our SmugMug account.

More thoughts and reflections when Jennie and I return home. We leave for London tomorrow.

No comments: