Sunday, January 21, 2007

Thirty





Thirty years ago yesterday, the world forever changed. Whether that change was for better or for worse is largely the opinion of who you talk to. I turned the big 3-0 yesterday. Now that I am 30 years and 1 day old, I can tell you that being thirty is much like 29. I am going to use the event of the dawn of my third decade to make some positive changes in my life. Not that I'm doing all that bad, but I would, for example, like to get to the gym more.

Anyway, back to my birthday. Jennie really went all out for my big day this year. She planned a surprise party for me at 227 Bistro in Rochester. Until about midnight the night before, I really had no idea! Here is the abbreviated story:
About a month ago, I noticed that my boss, Tom, had taken me off of a Saturday at WDIV and replaced me with Phil, one of the full time directors. I found it strange that Phil would want to come in on a Saturday. I grilled Jennie about whether or not she had for some reason called Tom. She said yes, and I figured the just wanted to spend the day together. Cool!

Then, about a week later, my friend Todd called and said that he would be coming up from Cleveland to see us. Again, I didn't find this strange, since he owed us a visit anyway. I honestly didn't even know if Todd knew it was my birthday. Still, I had no idea.

It wasn't until about 12:30am Friday night (or Saturday morning) that Jennie, Todd and I were driving back from the city that it hit me. I once again grilled Jennie and she, being a slightly below average liar, cracked. However, I still had no idea who would be there.

The night was great. After a fabulous steak dinner at 227 Bistro, we went to Gus O'Connors, just down the road. You should have been there, it was a great time. Thanks again to my wonderful wife, Jennie, for orchestrating the whole thing. You did an excellent job!

More photos below.....






No comments: